Food Technology, Hospitality & Catering

KS3 food technology

What will my child be studying?

During KS3 Food technology lessons students are introduced to the kitchen and its equipment; health and safety; weighing and measuring, cooker and cutting skills. They develop their skills and knowledge of ingredients by making a variety dishes that include, Fruit Salad, Pizza Toast, Vegetable Soup, Pasta or Rice salad, Pizza. They experiment with different ingredients and flavours to develop flavour and healthy dishes. Students also learn how to make different sauces and look at seasonal/organic foods and meal planning. They build on the basic skills and look at the culture influence on our everyday foods. Students research and cook dishes associated with other countries. They make Ragu sauce and Pasta, Chicken or vegetable Korma, Swiss Roll or an English-based dessert, Shepherd’s Pie (or Spaghetti Bolognaise/Lasagne).

How will my child be assessed in KS3?
Students are assessed through a range of base line assessments, directed practical tasks, design & make assignments and written end of unit assessment tests. 

What equipment will my child need?

It is expected that student bring ingredients for practical lessons and a container with a lid. Basic equipment for written work: pen, pencil, ruler, eraser, pencil sharpener and pencil case.

How can I support my child through KS3?

Help your child to select and prepare the ingredients that they need to bring for practical lessons.  

 

KS4 WJEC GCSE Hospitality & Catering

What is covered on the course?

The hospitality and catering industry, job roles, catering for an event, customer service, health and safety including environmental health. Students learn a wide range of Catering skills related to food preparation and service in the hospitality and catering sector. They will learn how to create menus with interesting dishes that would be popular with customers.  They learn how to use a wide range of fruit and vegetables to add colour, flavours and texture. They develop sweet and savoury dishes using dairy products that could be offered as part of an afternoon tea, to demonstrate their skills at producing baked products. They develop meals that promote healthy eating. Students will learn hospitality skills related to events and functions. Students plan, prepare and serve the food for a variety of different types of events, catering for 10 or more people.

How is the course assessed?

60% coursework including a controlled test (event based); 40% written exam paper

What equipment will my child need?

It is an expectation that all students provide the ingredients and a container for practical lessons, as well as an A4 folder and writing equipment for coursework.

What websites would you recommend?

WJEC website
 

Ks4 GCSE Food & nutrition

What exam board do we use?
WJEC Home Economics: Food and Nutrition

Are there controlled assessments?
Assessment for this course consists of two controlled assessments. The first to be undertaken in year 10 and the second in year 11. These pieces of work make up 60% of the students final grade.  The written exam, which takes place during the year 11 exam season and this makes up the remaining 40% of the overall grade.

One written paper to be

What is covered on the course?
The course is designed to give candidates an opportunity to extend and apply their skills, knowledge and understanding of food and nutrition. It will enable candidates to extend their design and technology skills and understand its contribution to the lifestyle and environment of all people. It will provide opportunities to develop interdisciplinary skills and their capability for imaginative, innovative thinking, creativity and independence relating to their personal interest.

The course will provide opportunities for candidates to develop their critical thinking and to manage a range of resources, develop food items, which are suited to the needs of individuals or families, and to recognise the influence of current trends, the market economy and technological change. It will offer opportunities for candidates to develop an understanding of citizenship through the relevant issues of the subject. The course reflects the view that GCSE Home Economics: Food and Nutrition should provide a variety of experiences whilst focusing on concepts, themes and issues relevant to the subject content.

What websites would you recommend?
http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/home-economics/home-economics-food-and-nutrition.html

http://www.foodafactoflife.org.uk

What equipment will my child need?
Ingredients for practical lessons and assessments