Creative Arts

Music

KS3

During Year 7 and 8 students are introduced to a wide range of instruments and styles. Lessons are based around practical activities, which include playing keyboards, percussion and steel pans as well as singing and rapping! Projects lead naturally into performances and students are taught how to be a good audience as well as a good performer; this skill is a crucial element of the Key Stage Four courses offered.

Students learn the basics of music reading and listening activities teach them about the elements of music, such as tempo, dynamics timbre and texture; these elements are used in all music pieces in one way.

In Year 9 students  take a course which prepares them for GCSE or BTEC Music – both of which are offered in Key Stage Four. Students in Year 9 get the opportunity to concentrate on their chosen instrument.

Students who demonstrate exceptional talent are encouraged to attend individual tutoring; these include guitar, drum kit and piano lessons.

Extra Curricular

All students are encouraged to attend one or more of the many after school clubs that happen in the music rooms.  These include Steel Pan club: all-comers, Steel Pan Elite, Choir and General Music Club. Any student who expresses a desire to participate is welcome to take part.

 

KS4

We currently offer both GCSE and BTEC Music to our students. Both courses have a written examination as part of the assessment process.

At GCSE, students develop their individual instrumental skills. Assessment of their skills forms a large part of their final grade. Students also develop composing skills, which may include writing for a specific instrument of musical style. All performances and compositions are recorded for assessment. Students studying GCSE Music are prioritised for individual tuition where possible.

BTEC Music prepares students for a possible career in music. Units include:

The Music Industry, Managing a Music Product, Introducing Live Sound, Introducing Music Composition, Introducing Music Performance and  Introducing Music Recordings

Extra Curricular

At the end of the academy day, the same as at Key Stage 3, there are additional extra sessions for students who want time to rehearse with their own bands.

 

Drama

What exam board do we use?
AQA

How is the course assessed?
60% internal assessment.

40% external exam.

Are there controlled assessments?
Part of the course is assessed through internal assessments, made up of the performance pieces and the preparation and evaluation of this work.

What is covered on the course?
The GCSE curriculum supports pupils to develop a wide range of skills, creating pieces using improvisation, drama from a stimulus, physical theatre and script work. Pupils will have secure working knowledge of drama styles, genres and practitioners, in order to inform the development of their own performance pieces

What websites would you recommend?
GCSE bitesize- http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/zbckjxs

AQA specification- http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/drama-and-performing-arts/gcse/drama-4240

AQA past papers and mark schemes- http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/drama-and-performing-arts/gcse/drama-4240/past-papers-and-mark-schemes

What equipment will my child need?
Blue/black pen

Red pen 

 

 

Media Studies

What exam board do we use? WJEC

How is the course assessed? Are there controlled assessments? The course consists of three pieces of coursework, which amounts to 60% of the students’ overall grade. The remaining 40% is a 2 hour and 15 minute exam which is based on a form of media studied in the subject.

What is covered on the course? Media Studies varies every year due to the cycle of exam topics. However, there is always a range of media that will be explored: Film, Television, Music Videos, Comics, Video Games, Radio or Animation.

What websites would you recommend? www.bbc.co.uk/education

What equipment will my child need? All your child will need is the will to be creative and perseverance.